8/26/10

Booking Through Thursday - Giving Up

Today's question for Booking Through Thursday is quite relevant to me recently, read further to find out why...

If you’re not enjoying a book, will you stop mid-way? Or do you push through to the end? What makes you decide to stop?

Although I hate to ditch books when I'm in the middle reading one, I will definitely stop reading it and not put myself through, what I call, further reading torture. There are plenty of enjoyable books out there, and I don't want to waste my time suffering through something I'm not enjoying, just to get to the end, when I can just as easily find out what happens on a book review website/blog and happily move onto a new book. My main reason to read is for the enjoyment and entertainment that books provide me when I get "lost" in the plot for hours. For example, I was recently reading a book by Neil Gaiman, entitled, Anansi Boys that was going along quite well for me until something twisted in the plot, and it got way too silly stupid for me. I was finding myself thinking up excuses to do something else (like clean the house, GASP!), rather than continue reading it, so at that point I knew this book had run it's entertainment value course on me and it was time to close it up and move on. Basically if the story gets ridiculous, confusing or dull or the actual writing is impossible to comprehend because of bad grammar etc. I will decide to stop reading the book. I've also been known to ditch a book after reading the first page if it doesn't completely catch my interest right in the beginning.

Now with that said, if I am reviewing a book given to me by the author, publisher etc. I will try my best to push through and continue to the end, making sure the story didn't just simply hit a rough patch and got better in the end.

No comments: